King Sihamoni's selection was endorsed by Prime Minister Hun Sen and National Assembly Speaker Prince Norodom Ranariddh (the new king's brother), both members of the throne council.
He was crowned in Phnom Penh on October 29. Born on Thursday 14 May 1953, in Phnom Penh, His Majesty King Norodom Sihamoni is the son of His Majesty Norodom Sihanouk, King of Cambodia and of Her Majesty Queen Norodom Monineath Sihanouk of Cambodia. Sihamoni remains a bachelor and has no children, which means he does not have a direct successor if one were to be required.
However, this should not be a problem as the King in Cambodia is selected by the throne council.
Norodom Sihamoni speaks Khmer, French, Czech, English and Russian. He is the first Czech speaking monarch after Ferdinand I of Austria.
- 1959-1962: Primary schooling at the Norodom school and then at the Descartes high school in Phnom Penh (Cambodia)
- 1962-1967: Primary and Secondary schooling at Prague's high school (Czechoslovakia)
- 1967-1971: Dance, music and theatre courses at the National Conservatory of Prague
- 1970: High school certificate -Prague (with "very good" marks)
- 1971: First prize course of classical dance of the National Conservatory of Prague
- 1971-1975: Higher dance, music and theatre courses, Academy of Musical Art of Prague
- 1975: Graduated from the Academy of Musical Art of Prague
- 1975: Author of a thesis on the conception and administration of artistic schools in Cambodia
- 1975-1976: Higher studies of Cinematography in the D.P.R. of Korea
- 1976-1979: Prisoner of the Khmer Rouge along with his parents and his younger brother, H.R.H Prince Norodom NarinDrapong
- 1979-1980: Served his father in exile abroad as his Private Secretary
- 1981-2000: Professor of classical dance and artistic pedagogy at the Marius Petipa conservatory, the Gabriel Faure conservatory and the W.A. Mozart conservatory of the city of Paris
- 1984-1988: President of the Khmer dance association in France and director general and artistic director of the ballet group "Deva"
- 1988-1993: Director general and artistic director of the Khmer cinematographic corporation "Khemara Pictures". H.M. Norodom Sihamoni, then Prince, has produced two creations (Ballet-Films): Dream and the 4 Elements
- 1992-1993: Chosen unanimously by the members of the Supreme National Council of Cambodia to be permanent representative of Cambodia to the United Nations
- 1993-2004: Ambassador of the Kingdom of Cambodia to Unesco
- 2004: Member of the High Council of French-Speaking Countries (Francophonie)
- 1st Feb 1994: Elevated by H.M. the King to the rank of Sdech Krom Khun (Great Prince)
- 17 Oct 2003: Appointed high privy Councillor to His Majesty the King
- 31 Aug 2004: Elevated by H.M the King to the Rank of SAMDECH PREAH BAROMNEATH
- 14 Oct 2004: Elected unanimously by the members of the throne council as King of Cambodia to succeed his august father who has decided to retire
Languages: Khmer, fluent in French and Czech, good English and Russian
- Grand cross of the Royal order of Cambodia
- Grand cross of the Royal order of Monisaraphon (Cambodia)
- Grand officer of the legion d'honneur (France)
- Silver medal of the city of Paris (France)